The mission of the Special Education Department is “to enhance the academic and behavior performance of Anchor Bay students.”
Special Education Office
5201 County Line Road
Casco, MI 48064
Supervisor of Special Education
Frank Cusimano ext 1310
Yolanda Buric ext 1300
88 trò chơi bài câu lạc bộThe Anchor Bay School District provides academic and behavioral diagnostic services to respond to the concerns of families regarding their children’s school progress. Concerned families can request assessment of their child’s strengths and weaknesses by calling the Special Education Department at 586-949-4513. This assessment process looks at the following areas:
- Communication and Speech/Language Skills
- Social Interaction
- Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
- Academic/Cognitive Assessments
- Behavioral Evaluations
- Response to Intervention Referrals
88 trò chơi bài câu lạc bộAnchor Bay School District partners with parents to address the developmental concerns of families when students need support for success.
Section 504 FAQ
What is Section 504?
88 trò chơi bài câu lạc bộSection 504 is a part of a set of civil rights laws (Rehabilitation Act of 1973) that ensures that individuals with “handicaps” receive appropriate accommodations to assist with their handicaps. School districts must make reasonable accommodations to allow students with handicaps an opportunity to successfully participate in school and school-related activities. It is not intended that Section 504 programs are fundamentally different from opportunities that exist for all students.
What Does “Handicapped” Mean?
In regard to Section 504 “handicapped” means “a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.”
Major life activities are defined as things like: learning in school, caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing and working. The law also indicates that an individual can also “have a history” of having such an impairment or can be “regarded as having” such an impairment.
88 trò chơi bài câu lạc bộImpairments are things like :
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Communicable Diseases such as HIV, Tuberculosis, AIDS
- Temporary Medical Conditions due to illness or accident
- Drug/Alcohol Dependency
- Heart Disease
- Behavioral Difficulties
How Do I Know If My Child Qualifies for Section 504 Accommodations?
88 trò chơi bài câu lạc bộIf a parent, guardian, educator, adult age student or relevant outside agency feels that the child may need accommodations under Section 504, a referral can be made to the staff member responsible for handling Section 504 inquiries at the child’s school. The school’s responsibilities then include:
- informing parents of the need to evaluate
- providing an evaluation for the student
- determining whether the student is eligible for Section 504 accommodations
- providing necessary accommodations.
What Are Accommodations?
- allowing the student to be seated near the teacher
- providing an assignment sheet to track assignments
- reducing the amount of work the student is required to do
- providing reminders for the child to stay on task
- repeating directions to ensure they were understood